Sunday, October 10, 2010

Weekend in Shanagarry

All week we had sunshine and exactly on Saturday the sun decided to hide behind the clouds until Sunday night. Nevertheless it was a good weekend. Saturday I went to the farmers market in Midleton. A nice little market with pretty dear prices. The cheese stand and smoked fish stand are my favorits. I bought some buffola mozzarella and very nice lokal goat and sheep cheeses. The Irish can live up to French standards with their cheeses. Ardsallagh and St Tola are well known goat cheese producers and St Tola won several awards, this year the  award of best producer.
I hope we will visit some cheesemaker on our school outing next Thursday.
I also bought a cod. The plan was to filet it at home and serve it for diner on Saturday.
Down the mainstreet I was looking for a household shop. I had to buy a hand mixer. I walked into Peter, also a student at Ballymaloe, he just had purchased a Kenwood kitchen maschine and a food precessor. We decided to go for a coffe and had a nice chat about food and life.
Packed with all the items I needed I drove back to Shanagarry, prepared everything for the arrival of my friend Jacqueline from Switzerland.

On the way home from Cork Airport we took a shortcut to avoid Cloyne. We discovered a lot of elderberries and stopped to harvest them, they were eaten by tonight in form of  a most delicious sorbet.
Today was outdoor day. We went on a charitiy walk, organised by Darina Allen. About 15 students turned up for the Ballycotton Cliff Walk, it's a great walk and the gathering in the pub afterwards was even better. I raised 200 Euros which will go to Unicef.
Talking to some students tonight we discoverd that several of us are not only talking and learnig about food all day we are haunted with food and cooking in our dreams at night! As long as our dreams are no nightmares we can live with it!

Wishing you sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment