Sunday, November 14, 2010

I've got a baby! it's called bubbly

Tuesday I started a sour dough. I have to feed it regularly and keep it warm and cozy. We started to call them our babies, thank God there is no feeding at night, no crying and nappy changing involved! I certainly would not have time for that. Baby is growing nicely and each time I open the air tight lid there are lots of bubbles on its surface. I add 50 gr flour and 50 ml water each day, by midweek I should be able to make my first bread, keeping some part in the container, to be able to start again. Many students have already asked if its allowed to take the dough on the plane. Well as you can imagine it cannot be taken in your hand luggage on board.
Week 8 was a good week, no more hectic in the kitchen, supplies were delivered on time.  Thursday was Steak day! and a long day because of evening wine lecture until 7.15.
We got a huge piece of beef on the bone, some of us got the opportunity to do some butcher work. First we had to cut of the fat, it was kept for frying the chips. Next cut was the filet and then the steak. It was hard work, you have to be very precise, no good meat should be wasted and at the same time you need a lot of strength to hold the whole thing. The bones then were cut and put in the oven to be roasted, with onion and carrots and then used for a beef stock.
I cooked my beef medium, 4 min on each side and it was delicious. 
I had made a sauce Bernaise and Coleslaw. Irish coleslaw is usually covered with some very fatty mayo, you hardly see the cabbage and carrots. We were told not to do this and I was very grateful for that. I added some yoghurt to the mayonnaise and grated 2 apples, tossed them in freshly squeezed lemon juice. The salad was light, crunchy and fresh. A really good winter salad.
We all were allowed to sit down and have our steak before cleaning our work area. A real treat. 
Friday was Soufflé day. I cooked a delicious Goat cheese soufflé. The only handicap was the oven or the recipe. It said to cook it for 15 to 20 minutes, mine needed almost 40 min and in spite of have taken it out and put back in again it did not collapse! 
I caught myself being really exited of the silky, smooth and shiny texture of my béchamel sauce, (which is the basis for cheese soufflé) my teacher said thats normal for a dedicated chef!
For dessert I made crepes with Orange Butter, heavenly!
This weekend we had a lot of sunshine and I went for walks along the beach with my visitors from England. Yesterday evening we went to Ballymaloe House for diner. The place is really beautiful and the food was excellent.
Tonight we that is a few students and I, are going to a concert in the Grain-store,at Ballymaloe House. Finbar Furey, an Irish music legend is performing. 
but before that I must feed my baby! 

No comments:

Post a Comment